Dover Bay Secondary School was on lockdown and Nanaimo RCMP are on scene, with weapons out, earlier this morning. (NEWS BULLETIN file photo)

UPDATE: Lockdown lifted at Nanaimo schools after threat

Police presence remains at Dover Bay, Nanaimo District Secondary School and McGirr Elementary

UPDATE: The lockdown has been lifted at a Nanaimo high school after a threat was made earlier today. Nanaimo RCMP noted in a social media post that there will be a police presence at Dover Bay and Nanaimo District secondaries and McGirr Elementary School for the remainder of the day as a precaution. Read more at this link.

PREVIOUSLY POSTED: Three Nanaimo schools are in lockdown after a threat was made to Dover Bay Secondary School today.

Initially, Dover was put in lockdown, while McGirr Elementary was in a hold-and-secure, but Nanaimo District Secondary School was later placed in hold-and-secure, with all three now in lockdown, out of an abundance of caution, Nanaimo RCMP said in a social media post.

Dale Burgos, Nanaimo Ladysmith Public Schools’ spokesperson, told the News Bulletin he couldn’t get into specifics about the situation.

“A threat was made to the school,” Burgos said. “Police are investigating. The school is in lockdown. That’s not something typical. Lockdown is a more serious emergency procedure. Kids are inside and as a precaution, McGirr is in a hold-and-secure and again doors are locked, nobody in or out.”

According to Burgos, a lockdown is a situation when there is a threat in the immediate vicinity of the school, whether it’s outside the school or inside and a hold-and-secure is more to do with when something is happening near the school, where there is police presence.

In a social media post, Nanaimo RCMP are asking parents and caregivers to avoid the area and not call the schools for updates or information. Updates will be made when more information is available.

Nanaimo RCMP did not immediately respond to a request for further comment.

More to come.

YESTERDAY’S MOST-READ: Naked, bloody man drowns on Vancouver Island



reporter@nanaimobulletin.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

UPDATED: 24-hour closure coming to Tofino-Ucluelet highway this weekend

Hwy. 4 at Kennedy Hill will be shut down from 11 a.m. Feb. 22 to at 11 a.m. Feb. 23.

Ucluelet resident sounds alarm over ‘environmental disaster’

Central Westcoast Forest Society estimates bridge project at Hyphocus Island could cost $1M.

Senior A Basketball: Maaqtusiis senior teams take on the Island Championships

Senior girls play at Duncan Christian and senior boys at Nanaimo Christian this weekend.

Fashion Fridays: The 8 best quality online stores! Shop the ultimate sales

Kim XO, helps to keep you looking good on Fashion Fridays on the Black Press Media Network

Petition slams Victoria councillor who chastised police after Wetsuweten protest

Ben Isitt calls effort to get him suspended is not a ‘reliable barometer of public opinion’

B.C., Ottawa sign sweeping 30-year deal for northern caribou habitat

West Moberly, Saulteau co-manage new protection on two million acres

Suspect at large after stealing seaplane before crashing into another in Vancouver

Police responded to the incident at 3:30 a.m. on Friday at Vancouver Harbour

PHOTOS: 2020 BC Winter Games kick off in Fort St. John

More than 1,000 of B.C.’s best athletes will be competing over the next three days

Meet the Wet’suwet’en who want the Coastal GasLink pipeline

Supporters of the pipeline are upset only one side is being heard nationwide

Shopping cart collector at B.C. Costco awarded $583,000 after getting pinned by car

Kurtis Ryan Burdeniuk, 22, was retrieving carts when a driver backed into him in the parking lot

‘Usain Bolt he was not’: B.C. gang police seize drugs, cash after foot chase

‘The man took off running when he saw our officers approaching,’ CFSEU BC says

Canadians released from coronavirus-ridden cruise ship in Japan fly home

Those who were cleared to travel are to be screened again at Canadian Forces Base Trenton

Most Read