The Alberni-Clayoquot Regional District is currently engaging with vacation rental owners ahead of the new residential Sort’nGo collection service for organic waste, recycling and garbage in Tofino and Ucluelet.
With vacation rentals included in the coming service, the ACRD wants to know what tools and methods could help you support and educate your guests on best practices for sorting and collection.
Share your ideas on the materials and methods that can help your guests meet waste sorting requirements – and ensure that you aren’t left to deal with the consequences of bylaw infractions as a result.
How to Share Your Ideas
Tell us what methods and tools would best suit your needs for guests:
- Post your ideas on our West Coast Sort’nGo webpage at www.letsconnectacrd.ca/sortngo-west-coast
- Vote on ideas that you like to help prioritize the most popular suggestions
What are the best ways to communicate with your guests about responsibly managing their waste? What tools would best serve these needs? For example:
- Digital materials – a dedicated web page, with access to the desktop app and printable documents
- Printable materials for your guest space – a tent card to display, a one-pager for the guest book or a standalone guidebook
- Support & access to information – in-home sorting consultations, a hotline or resources for interior sorting bins or stations.
What happens if vacation home renters don’t properly sort their waste?
As the ACRD is working to decrease contamination in the waste streams, a new bylaw has been introduced to ensure sorting requirements are being met by residents under the Sort’nGo service.
Educational resources including in-person home visits will be provided for those residences that are repeat offenders of contamination. Continued offences may be subject to missed collection or fines.
Thank you to all homeowners for their time, interest and participation – get details about the Sort’nGo West Coast service and subscribe for updates at: www.letsconnectacrd.ca/sortngo-west-coast