Time again for the Carving on the Edge festival. Amazing woodwork in an intimate and interactive setting, with huge insights into the brilliance of the carvers and the significance of this truly West Coast
art over two weeks. For you Internet buffs, lots more detail at www.carvingedgefestival.com. Take it in! All at 368 Main Street, The Shore Pier, unless stated otherwise.
* “Master Carvers at Work” Wed Sept 3 -Tues Sept 9. 10 to 5pm daily, by donation. Nuu-chah-nulth Carver Gordon Dick (shown carving in inset photo) will set up a six-foot Wind Woman Cedar Mask to carve in public view for one week. Watch his creative process unfold as a finished piece emerges.
* “Paddle Making Workshop with Carl Martin” Thurs Sept 4 -Sunday Sept 9. 10 to 5pm daily. Sign up early for this paddle making workshop with local master paddle maker Carl Martin. Contact email@example.com to enroll and for info on workshop fees.
Bursaries available for emerging carvers showing need.
* The Wood Speaks Carving Workshops and Demonstrations , Fri Sept 5-Sun Sept 7, by donation Drop in daily to learn a variety of different carving techniques from traditional and contemporary west coast carvers. Check the website for up to date info on rattle making demos, mask carving, turning burls, traditional wooden bow making demos, tool sharpening, block printing and much more.
* Traditional Canoe Paddle with T’ashii Paddle School, Fri. Sept 5 and Sat. Sept 6. Hour long trips by donation Friday starting at 2:30pm, 3:30pm and 4:30pm;
Saturday starting at 4:30pm and 5:30pm * Art in Context with Dan Law Fri. Sept 5 at 7:30pm, by donation An Introduction to the Place of Art in Contemporary Culture. Dan Law is a contemporary installation artist and traditional arts instructor. * A Viking Journey with Christen Dokk Smith. Fri Sept 5 at 8:30pm Through the history and traditions of Viking carving and the work at Oslo Norway’s Viking Ship Museum, Smith will show the experimental landscape of Viking carving today as well as his own personal journey in wood carving.
* The Wood Speaks -Tim Paul and son Tom Paul, Sat Sept 6, 7:30pm Slide show presentation and talk on three generations of traditional carving, how knowledge is passed down, and the journey it takes into the contemporary world.
* An Evening with Joe David, Sat Sept 6 at 8:30pm by donation. One of the most respected master artists of the Northwest Coast, Joe will present a slide show of his works and the thoughts and inspirations behind them.
Jackie Carmichael is the publisher of the Westerly News. Thanks to Marika Swan and Norma Dryden for their files on this.
Geoff Johnson is the sales representative at the Westerly News. He can be reached at 250-266-2400 or firstname.lastname@example.org