No injuries were reported after a home generator exploded outside a Ucluelet residence last month.
The Ucluelet Volunteer Fire Brigade responded to the scene on Sept. 23 around 1 p.m., according to Fire Chief Rick Geddes.
Geddes told the Westerly News he was the first crew member to arrive and saw a neighbour on the roof of the residence’s garage, spraying water on the fire.
“He was blasting it from above with a garden hose, which was a big help because otherwise it could have been a whole different story,” Geddes said.
He said the fire was dangerously close to the residence, but remained contained within a metal box around the generator.
“It was confined to the area of origin, although it was close to the residence, thankfully it was installed correctly,” he said.
“We also have to be concerned about the fuel…It was propane powered, so that in itself can present some dangers and, of course, the tank is not too far away, so thankfully we were able to isolate the generator from the fuel.”
He added the generator’s owner has been diligent in having it professionally serviced and maintained.
“He’s done all the right things, it was just a freak explosion that, thankfully, doesn’t happen too often, but it does show the importance of having it installed and maintained by professionals,” he said.
“Having it installed properly and maintained properly is huge.”
READ MORE: Fire destroys Ucluelet First Nation home