Man, 70, arrested for threats against BC Legislature while he was on ferry

The arrest of a 70-year-old man who made threats against the B.C. legislature while on a ferry underscores the challenge police face, in the wake of the Ottawa and Quebec attacks on soldiers, to determine if such statements pose real dangers or are merely empty threats.

The day after last Wednesday’s shooting rampage that left an Honour Guard at the National War Memorial dead and sparked a gunfight on Parliament Hill, a man on the 7 a.m. ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay was heard making reference to the Ottawa attacks, followed by threats against the B.C. legislature. The man was not physically violent and did not have any weapons.

B.C. Ferries staff called Sidney/North Saanich RCMP at 8:19 a.m. Thursday and kept the man in a secluded area of the vessel, said Island district RCMP spokesman Cpl. Darren Lagan. Mounties boarded the ferry at 8:35 a.m. and arrested the man. “Throughout the day, investigators undertook a full investigation and assessment of the man’s actions, and determined he posed no threat to public safety,” Lagan said, citing existing mental-health issues as a significant factor.

Lagan said the man was released from police custody later in the day, after mental-health professionals became involved. He will not face any charges.

A second man who was set to meet the older man was also detained and questioned. He cooperated and was released without charge.

While the threats turned out to be unfounded, Lagan said the person who reported the incident did the right thing in notifying the police. “We are mindful that it is not uncommon to see cases such as this, following a major, highprofile incident of violence,” Lagan said. “While we are aware that individuals in follow-up situations often have no actual intent to harm others, we must ensure that a thorough investigation is completed, as was done in this case.” B.C. Ferries spokeswoman Deborah Marshall said that, given last week’s events, ferries are on heightened vigilance for security monitoring.

Two incidents of violence against Canadian soldiers last week left Canadians scrambling for answers.

Last Wednesday, Michael Zehaf Bibeau shot and killed Cpl. Nathan Cirillo, a reservist from Hamilton who was standing guard at the National War Memorial in downtown Ottawa. Zehaf Bibeau then drove to the Centre Block of Parliament Hill and stormed the doors with a rifle in hand. Security officials and RCMP officers ran after the gunman, who was fatally shot by sergeant-at-arms Kevin Vickers.

The Ottawa attack came two days after Martin Couture-Rouleau, a suspected extremist on the RCMP’s security watch list, ran down two Canadian Forces members in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., south of Montreal. Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, a 28-yearold veteran who previously served at CFB Esquimalt and CFB Comox, was killed.

Cirillo’s funeral is being held today in Hamilton. A book of condolence for the two soldiers is available at Sands Funeral Chapel in Colwood, Victoria, Duncan and Nanaimo, said Julie Evans, managing director at the Colwood site. The Colwood location also has a book that is going to various locations around the West Shore, Evans said, including Langford

Just Posted

New apartment building proposed in Tofino

Tim Hackett hopes to build a 32-unit, three-storey apartment building.

Tla-o-qui-aht First Nation demands transparency from leadership

“Right now there’s a lot of heartache.”

Tofino’s council split on ice rink decision

“I don’t think that’s the highest priority of the dollars that we have for a recreation facility.”

“Intense” storms coming to Tofino and Ucluelet this week

“If you are near the water, it is important to be ‘Coastsmart,’ by staying above the high tide.”

Ucluelet’s indoor market keeps vendors humming through the off-season

“It brings people out, which is great and we showcase different talents, which is great.”

WATCH: Giant waves smash Ucluelet’s Amphitrite Point

Folks made their way to Ucluelet’s Amphitrite Point Lighthouse on Thursday, Jan.… Continue reading

Wind warning back in effect around Vancouver Island

80 km/h winds expected Saturday, Jan. 20, on east coast of Island, 100 km/h on west coast

VIDEO: Thousands join women’s march events across B.C.

Today marks one year since the first Women’s March on Washington

UPDATE: BC Transit’s handyDart service strike delayed

LRB application by contractor means new strike notice must be issued by union

Two Canadians, two Americans abducted in Nigeria are freed

Kidnapping for ransom is common in Nigeria, especially on the Kaduna to Abuja highway

Are you ready for some wrestling? WWE’s ‘Raw’ marks 25 years

WWE flagship show is set to mark its 25th anniversary on Monday

B.C. woman who forged husband’s will gets house arrest

Princeton Judge says Odelle Simmons did not benefit from her crime

Women’s movement has come a long way since march on Washington: Activists

Vancouver one of several cities hosting event on anniversary of historic Women’s March on Washington

Liberals’ 2-year infrastructure plan set to take 5: documents

Government says 793 projects totalling $1.8 billion in federal funds have been granted extensions

Most Read