Thirty years ago in January 1992, the Westcoast Women’s Resources Society was established as a result of the activism of a group of local women and in April 1993, the transition house was opened.
The Society grew with the communities, securing funding from different ministries to expand our programs. In 2004, the Society was renamed to Westcoast Community Resources Society so that we can serve all members, regardless of gender. We strive to empower and support all members of our communities to move beyond systemic barriers, violence, and abuse through the provisions of safe shelter, education, and counselling services.
To date, we offer:
• Transition House and Second Stage House for women and their children fleeing abuse and violence
• PEACE Counselling for children who experienced violence or abuse and their caregivers
• Stopping the Violence Counselling for self-identified women and mature girls who have experienced violence or abuse in relationships, sexual assault, or childhood abuse
• Women’s Outreach provides support, referrals, service navigation, advocacy, and community education for women & their children who have experienced or are at risk of violence
• Community Outreach assists clients of any identified gender with accessing services, referrals, and navigating government systems
• Substance Use Outreach provides support and education for people impacted by substance use issues
• Substance Use Counselling for youth and their caregivers who are affected by substance use
• Child and Youth Worker supports children, youth and families by strengthening connections within family and community, improved communication, problem solving, skills development, and healthy lifestyle choices
• Child and Youth with Support Needs Worker supports children up to 19 referred by Ministry of Children & Family Development
• Community Support Worker supports adults with support needs referred by Community Living BC
For more details, visit www.wccrs.ca or call 250-726-2343. All of our programs are free and confidential to all members of the west coast communities between Hesquiaht and Toquaht. Come visit us at the Hub next to the Ucluelet Community Centre, Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm. Every Thursday we have community lunch with delicious soup and snacks for anyone and everyone to enjoy.
Interested in joining us? We’re always looking for members, volunteers, and directors. Join our Annual General Meeting this Thursday September 29, 2022 at 7pm at Tin Wis Best Western Resort.